1987/88 - Model and fledging actress

 A few months before meeting Layne Staley, Demri went to a mall to audition in front of an audience for a singing part in a musical called Cinderella Rock. “She starts this song and then she stops and says, “Obviously, you can all tell that I can’t sing”, Austin said. “Then she just played the crowd — it was amazing.” There were three or four agents at the audition who were impressed enough that they gave her their business cards. [1]
A glamour shot of beautiful Demri in 1988 

Anonymous: “I knew Demri before she was with Layne, she was a good friend. I always thought she was going to be famous, but not like this. She should have been a photographer or in the theater. We talked a lot about leaving our little school and doing cool things... I seen her one more time when she got back from art school, then it was my time to leave. I always thought we would see each other again and would share some great stories, not this. It wasn’t neat or cool, it’s heartbreaking.
I did not know ‘Layne and Demri’, but I did know Demri Murphy. I went to school with her. I was in 8th grade and she was a Junior, yes our school was small. Even though the age gap, we still became good friends... Our conversations are a bit fuzzy for me to remember now, but a lot of them were about leaving this small town, exploring the world and doing some cool shit. She was an artist. She left for art school in Florida. She did come back on Christmas break and attended my wrestling match. We had a brief connection before being mobbed by her other friends, she was well liked. 
I only seen her one more time in 1988 in Everett, she came running out a building calling my name, run over to me and gave me a big hug. Her hair grew longer and she was even more beautiful then before. We talked for a few minutes, something like she wasn’t going to the art school anymore and was just trying to figure things out and what to do next. I was like, I have to get out of that town before I slip into a unrecoverable depression. So she told me to be free and get out of that place, that I didn’t fit in there, like her... 
But I never seen her again... I don’t know much about her after 1988, but the stories I heard, and her death breaks my heart. In some ways I wish [Demri and Layne] never met, maybe she would still be alive, maybe an art or drama teacher, or a photographer... But this story is not about Layne, it’s about Demri and I wanted you to know what a wonderful, creative and special person she was. There is a reason Layne loved her so much. Still loving you Demri, be free. Your friend, Mv.” [2]

Karie Pfeiffer Simmons: “She began modeling and doing hair shows in Seattle in 1987. It was her senior year and the whole grunge scene with underground raves was so big. She was so bright and vibrant that she attracted energy vampires.” [5]

Sources cited:
[1] Alice in Chains: The Untold Story by David de Sola
[2] Instagram: memoriesofdemri (no longer exists)
[5] Instagram: worldofdemri

Comments